Saturday, November 13, 2010

A Tribute to Nancy

This just arrived via e-mail:
Aaron,
I can not put into words how much I love Nancy. I am certain that there are countless others that feel exactly the same way. I know also that you love her dearly. I am so sorry that you all have had to endure a farewell such as this. It's not fair to Nancy or to any of you, pure and simple. Nancy was more than just someone that I worked with in the fight against cancer. She was a friend, an inspiration, and she was also a "teacher" on many levels. I will take with me many lessons I have learned from Nancy, and carry her strength into this fight for a cure. It was just a day after losing a cherished member of my family to cancer that I began this journey, and I will not ever stop fighting for a cure in his or Nancy's name. No one should have to go through this.
I am working to put together a resolution in Nancy's honor. This is something that the American Cancer Society does for it's most cherished volunteers. I would like to get it to you before her service. It is a personal proclamation that I know will be very meaningful to you and all of her family and friends. Traditionally it is read to, and then presented to a family by an ACS staff person. I would love to do this for you all in Nancy's honor. I could bring it to you any time next week, as it will take a few days to put together. I would also like to read it at the Relay in June.
Please let me know if there is ANYTHING that I can do for you all! If you would please share this email with Kit and Erin. I would like them to know how to get in touch with me as well.
I feel truly blessed that you would all allow me to come to see Nancy last night. I will not ever forget the feeling of her hand in mine. I could not say goodbye to her. I believe that there are some things in life that can never leave you. Nancy is one of those special things to me. I will carry her in my heart forever.
Sending you all love, and hope for peace,
Dawn Emery
American Cancer Society, Maine Chapter

Native American Poem
I give you this one thought to keep -

I am with you still -
I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow,
I am the diamond glints on snow,
I am the sunlight on ripened grain, I am the gentle autumn rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift, uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not think of me as gone -
I am with you still - in each new dawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment