Friday, August 6, 2010

Blogging for Dummies

I was at the Falmouth Library yesterday looking for some good new summer reads. While there, I browsed through the "New Books" section and came across a shiny-new yellow and black copy of "Blogging for Dummies". I dragged it to a table in the reference room to see if I could find some tips to improve our blog. Among the tips to increase blog readership:

1. "Create a niche with your blog. "
"It's Always Something" is kind of a generic "keep in touch, family memories, what's-on-my-mind-today, stream of consciousness, internet therapy, Nancy's cancer" blog. How's that for a niche?

2. "Write 2-3 new Posts a day to keep your blog followers interested."
Are these people serious? I can hardly find the time to write 2-3 posts a week. ..and it's summer!

3. "Work to develop a 'voice' on your blog."
I think I've already got a voice, thank you...just ask Hank...sometimes he can't get me to shut up:-)

4. "Include images with your posts."
Excuse me, but who was up at 3:00 o'clock this morning taking digital photos of Oreo's on the kitchen table?

So, check back often for new posts in the next few weeks. Hopefully, I'll find both a niche and a voice by then!

3 comments:

  1. I must have written something that is not nice, so the comment got deleted.

    How's Nancy? Yes, your niche is Nancy. I read her condition and decided to read more.

    Recently, my husband's colleague's wife had colon cancer. They asked if th wives could cook for the family. We have become friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first sentence is a joke by me, I just must have touch a button. It was not deleted by you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Ann,
    You're right...Nancy really is the niche for the blog...good point! I hope your friend is doing well with her cancer and that you will keep reading and commenting on our blog!
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete