Monday, December 15, 2008

Letter From My Father in War




Postmark: Atlantic City, NJ
Sep 1, 1942, 6 P.M.

United States Army Air Forces
Pvt. F. J. Smith
991st T.S.S.T.C. group D3
Army Air Force R.T. S.
Atlantic City, NJ


To: Mr. & Mrs. Arthur W. Smith
79 Chadwick St.
Haverhill, Mass
United States Army Air Forces

Tues Sept 2

Dear Folks,
Well I’m off again. I’ll be on my way before you read this. Last Sat (this is Tues.) we were classified and all told what branch they were in. All but me. They lost the records of myself and six other fellows, so we don’t know what we are going to do. I don’t think its drafting. Most of the fellows are to be mechanics, radio mechanics, or radio operators. This morning at 6:00 about 12 of us were restricted to quarters and told we were being shipped. I don’t know whether it will be an hour from now or 2 days but it is soon and we leave our rooms only to eat. I’ll have to write when I arrive as strict censorship is maintained aboard train. Any mail en-route to me will be forwarded. The weather here has been beautiful it only rained one day. I can’t say mutch as this letter may be censored. I was allowed to go out 3 nights and should have had all next sunday but don’t know where I’ll be now. One fellow cracked here in our outfit Sat. and is now in the hospital crazy as can be. He was a swell duck too. I’m all done my basic training now and will receive no more. It’s from here to some school.

Till I arrive
Fred

No comments:

Post a Comment